1. Acupuncture Relieves Stress. As humans, our bodies are built to handle stressful situations through our “fight or flight” response. In our distant past, this was useful for evading large predators and defending our families. However, in modern times, we face prolonged stress that causes our bodies to be in a constant state of “fight or flight,” which can have very damaging effects. Some common symptoms of stress are anger, anxiety, digestive disorders, headaches, heart disease, high blood pressure and weight problems. Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years to help people manage the effects of their stress and stay healthy.
2. Acupuncture prevents and treats the cold and flu. This time of year colds, flues and respiratory infections are making the rounds. Regular acupuncture can prevent you from getting sick in the first place by strengthening your immune system. I have many patients who would get some sort of respiratory infection every winter for years that no longer have that happen. If you do happen to catch the current bug going around come on in for a treatment at the first sign (e.g. stuffy nose, watery eyes, sore throat) and we can often boot out the invader and keep you from a week of misery.
3. Acupuncture relieves pain. Many of us walk around with chronic back pain, neck pain, you-name-it-pain believing that it is just part of getting older or nothing can be done to help it. Not true. Acupuncture is great for relieving pain. Often patients get significant pain relief in the first session! For many of my patients it feels like a miracle. I never get tired of seeing eyes go wide and hearing “the pain is almost gone!”
4. Acupuncture supports emotional balance. This goes hand in hand with stress response. Many of us live lives where we feel constantly on the go and pulled in a million different directions. We may swing from irritability to worry to guilt and back to irritability. Acupuncture smoothes out the rough edges and provides a sense of general well-being, contentment and peace. Patients report that co-workers, family members and friends notice the change and want to know what they started “taking.”
5. Acupuncture supports better digestion. Bloating, gas, reflux, constipation and diarrhea are signs your digestive system needs a tune up. Your diet may need a tune up as well! Acupuncture and diet changes can get your digestive system running properly so you are not running to the bathroom or sitting and reading the paper in there either.
You can make 2016 the happiest and healthiest yet!